Celebrating Our Legacy
West Covina High School first opened its campus in 1956 on the old Covina High School campus on Citrus Ave and Puente Ave as the Spartans. In 1957, the school moved to its new campus, which was built on an old cabbage patch, on Cameron Ave and Fernwood. Blue and white were the school colors. The Spartans were led by Principal Maurice Wooden, brother of the legendary UCLA Coach John Wooden. The first senior class graduated in 1958.
Edgewood High School first opened in 1958 as a freshman school, located on the old Covina High School campus. In September of 1959, the new campus, on the corner of Orange and Merced Avenue, opened with ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade students. The Trojan was chosen as the mascot and the school colors were green, gold and white. The first principal was Mr. Roscoe Vaniman and the first graduating class was in 1961.
In 1988, West Covina Unified School District merged Edgewood High School and West Covina High School, bringing all students to its current campus. The new mascot became the Bulldog and maroon and gold were chosen as the new school colors. Today over 2900 students are enrolled at West Covina High School to continue the legacy of academic, athletic, artistic, and extracurricular excellence.
50th Anniversary Celebration '07-'08